Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway
A 16 mile return journey by narrow gauge steam train through beautiful Mid Wales countryside.

rcNo. 7 Chattenden

No. 7 Chattenden


This six-coupled machine was built by E. E. Baguley at Burton-on-Trent in 1949 to the order of the Drewry Car Company and is now fitted with a Gardner engine developing 150 h.p. Originally it worked on the Admiralty’s Upnor and Lodge Hill Railway then later transferred to Broughton Moor, Cumbria. Capable of working passenger trains in an emergency, the locomotive is normally used for the heavier civil engineering works trains.

Chattenden underwent a major overhaul during the period 2003-2004 which involved fitting a replacement gearbox.